I've been having a wonderful time this March school holidays. I haven't quite figured out exactly why I feel so happy, but it's definitely been one of the better school holidays we've had--where things have progressed along at an even pace, where there's been a good balance of outings & down time, where I've really enjoyed the kids & found myself hugging them a lot more.
Maybe it's because we started the holidays with a trip to Desaru with our DG. It was a 3D/2N trip to Lotus Desaru with 4 other families--yup 12 adults (including helpers) + 11 kids!
The resort has a water park within its premises. There are also one, two and three bedroom apartments, and lots of open space (especially next to the restaurant) for the kids to play. All we had to do was buy one of those simple balls, and send the boys off to the field to play soccer. They would occupy themselves for a fair amount of time, and come back all sweaty but happy.
There was also lots of family-friendly activities, like quad bikes & banana boating. Over the weekend, the open space in front of the restaurant transformed into a carnival-like atmosphere, with a bonfire & clowns, a mobile guitar band, karaoke and so on. It was very lively & ... lovely!
Of course, our DG did not just have fun and games. We did quite a fair bit of bible study too, and I found it very refreshing as the topic we delved into was none other than--MARRIAGE. Led by my husband, we looked at passages of Scripture that shed light on God's plan for marriage & how we can better do things God's way when we face conflict or disagreements. Very practical stuff, plus the guys and the girls got time to pray together too.
Desaru is a simple 1.5 hour drive up via the Second Link. I would definitely go back to Lotus Desaru again, though the one thing I wasn't crazy about was the food served by the restaurant, which was decent, but not great.
Here are some highlights & thanksgivings of our trip:
1. We put all three kids in one bedroom--and they survived! Esther slept at her usual time, 8.15pm, while the boys waited till a good half hour more to ensure she was comatose, before sneaking in, pulling the covers over their heads, and then lying there quietly till they fell to sleep!
2. Watching Dan play with the babies, like Kezia, or watching Dan and Ben play with Dara. My boys are developing an interest in babies & younger girls, probably because of Esther. =)
3. Walking along the beach and having a close-up view of para-sailing!
4. Studying passages from Genesis, James, and excerpts from "When Sinners Say I Do", an excellent excellent book on biblical marriage. Really very good stuff!
5. Babysitting Gabriel & Naomi while their parents got some time away from the kids--Naomi has grown so much and she's so girly!
6. Catching up with and chatting with all the mums, watching how different couples interact and laughing at all the jokes we made about each other, our marriages, and etc during Bible Study Time! =)