so we borrowed this toy bear thingy from Joy & Andrew before they scooted off to Australia for their year of studying there. This week, I decided to set it up and see how esther would take to it. she was... mesmerised!
the toy, it's like a playgym, has got a huge bear face that stares right ... at ... her. and if u move the various parts, or the face, some nice "music from the carribean" will play, reminding you of the sea breeze, coconuts and hula hula dancers with grass skirts! she really likes the music! we now use this toy to keep her awake!
but if u think about it, it is actually kinda scary staring at a bear with big eyes and a blinking red nose all the time!! so i try not to let her stare at him too long...
when she's awake, the typical routine is as follows:
1. First, I'll ask Ben and/or Dan to come & entertain her while I pump. (I pump out all the remaining milk at the end of every feed, and store it.) They will typically pick a rattle and dance around her. They've taken to singing the National Anthem to her, and other Singapore songs (must be because National Day just passed!)
2. Then, we'll transfer her to the huge-bear-face-that-stares-right-at-her-and-emits-music-from-the-isles. Dan/Ben will help me to press the bear for music. I'm usually changing my clothes, writing down stuff, etc.,
3. After a while, we'll bring her whereever we go. If I need to wake Ben up from his nap, she comes with me to his room, and kicks about on the cushion on the floor, while Ben whines about waking up. If I need to fix myself or Dan a snack, she goes on her chair and onto the kitchen table, next to the sandwich I am buttering for Dan or myself. If I'm doing my QT, she goes in the playgym while I read my Bible next to her. Or, if the boys are hanging out in the living room, I take her with me and she gets to be part of the "noise" and "activity".
4. When she tires, we put her to sleep. Double swaddle. Then it's off to dreamland till the next feed!
Just a quick update on Esther:
1. She's taking 1 bottle of EBM at 11pmish, and sleeps through to 7am! Praise God!
2. She now poops in the morning a WHOLE LOT.
3. We're trying to get her hair to stop standing UP by applying olive oil to it before bathing her. Does anybody know any other method?
4. I really like her soft, gentle "don't hurt me" look! I think I am really enjoying having a daughter! =)