I wanted to record this for posterity.
How to wake up a sleepy baby (methods I have used for all my kids!)
1. tickle under the armpit
2. raise her arm and stretch it (I don't know why this works, but it does!)
3. tickler her toes
4. bend her legs at the knees up and down up and down
5. run your slightly cool hands over her chest and TICKLE!
6. place baby on hard surface, e.g., a diaper changing mat that is on a tabletop surface
7. unwrap the diaper and pretend to "clean" the baby's bottom for the umpteenth time! "Oh look! I see a speck of dirt! Let me just wipe that off vigorously!!"
8. SPONGE BATH with warm water & towel. (Remember to turn off aircon first!)
9. SPONGE BATH using slightly cool water & towel!
10. BATH THE BABY! Dunk her in water!
11. Get elder siblings to shake rattles, bang drums, sing on top of their voices--Dan & Ben have sung the National Anthem to Esther several times!
12. Remove all her clothes (except diaper) ! Yikes!
OK. In case people are wondering. Reasons for waking a sleepy baby include: (a) she falls asleep during a feed, and I want her to wake up so I can burp her properly, or so that she can finish drinking her milk properly and (b) she falls asleep while playing in her playgym but I sense she could probably stay awake for a little longer, it's just that the weather is too hot, or it's too boring for her ("there's nothing going on? I'll jus sleep then")
Does anybody have any other tips to add onto my list? =)