My friend & DG mate Hwee Ling prepared this fantastic pack for all the kids in our DG (Discipleship Group)--a Resurrection egg packet. I think the idea came from an email I sent out, regarding my other friend Kari Hanson, who did this idea with her kids. (Or maybe Hwee Ling just thought it up by herself?) Anyway, this idea was a great way to tell the story of Easter & give the kids some mementos to help them remember the details.
Each resurrection egg packet has:
1. a leaf--to remind the kids of Palm Sunday and the waving of palm branches as Jesus entered Jerusalem on a donkey
2. a little piece of bread -- to remind the kids that Jesus' last supper with his disciplies comprised bread & wine
3. a fake silver coin -- to remind the kids that Judas was paid coins to betray Jesus
4. a small piece of rope -- to remind the kids that Jesus was tied up and whipped
5. a small cross -- to remind the kids that Jesus had to carry his cross and that he died on the cross
6. a small nail -- to remind the kids that Jesus was nailed to the cross
7. a sign saying "King of the Jews" -- what was put over Jesus' head
8. a little piece of sponge -- to remind the kids that Jesus was thirsty on the cross
9. a piece of stone -- to remind the kids that the stone was rolled away from the tomb
10. an empty plastic egg (into which all the other items can fit) -- to show the empty tomb -- Jesus rose from the dead!
I went through the resurrection egg materials with the kids last week. And then again on Good Friday, this time using a Picture Bible to show them the various scenes. We also revised the story using just the resurrection egg packet items. It was heartwarming to hear Daniel remember some of the details that he heard. The kids also really loved playing and looking at the various items.
Thanks so much Hwee Ling (and Kari!)