Recipe: Special Dumpling Soup
I took leave upon returning from Perhentian, so had enough time to make special dumpling soup. Found the recipe in TODAY - they have a regular recipe section on Tuesdays by Pauline D Loh.
The dish is special because you make the dumplings from scratch, out of fish, shrimp and minced meat. It's actually very simple, but looks great and tastes yummy too!
Special dumpling soup
500g threadfin fillet
200g fresh prawns
50g minced pork/chicken
bunch of parsley
1 can of chicken stock
1 packet baby butter lettuce
1 tb soya sauce
Dash of pepper
1 ts sesame oil
1. Rinse the fish fillets, slice and butterfly. *
2. Shell and devein the prawns. Cut into chunky halves.
3. Season minced pork/chicken with soya sauce, pepper and sesame oil.
4. Fold prawn pieces in between butterfly-ed fillet flaps. **
5. Use minced pork/chicken to surround the fish & prawn mixture.
6. Heat up one can of chicken stock, together with 4-5 bowls of water.
7. When water boils, slide dumplings into the pot and wait for water to return to boil.
8. The dumplings are cooked when the fish turns white.
9. Sprinkle chopped parsley at last minute and serve.
* To butterfly fish fillet, first cut fish into 1cm thick slices. Then, slice it in the middle again towards the skin, do not cut through. The slice should open up like a butterfly.
** Think of it as a hamburger. The prawn piece is the burger and the two flaps of fish are the buns.